R2 (Responsible Recycling) Certification
- Develop and use a management system that covers environmental, worker safety and public health practices on-site and downstream management of end-of-life (EOL) equipment and materials.
- Establish a policy that promotes reuse and materials recovery for EOL equipment and materials.
- Comply with environmental, health, and safety legal requirements, both domestically and internationally, that are applicable to the recyclers’ operations.
- Use practices to reduce exposures and emissions during recycling operations.
- Export (or arrange for the export of) focus materials only to foreign countries that accept them.
- Focus materials are: cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and CRT glass; circuit boards (unless they have had batteries and mercury-containing items removed and are lead free); batteries; and items containing mercury and/or polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), both in EOL equipment and when separated as components.
- Send EOL equipment and all material derived from this equipment that contains focus materials only to facilities that are properly licensed to receive these materials, and use technology designed to safely and effectively manage these materials – whether in the U.S. or another country.
- Ensure that an electronics recycler does not use energy recovery, incineration, or land disposal as a management strategy for focus materials or equipment and components containing focus materials. However, if circumstances beyond the control of the R2 recycler disrupt its normal management of a focus material, it may consider these technologies to the extent allowed under applicable law.
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring that downstream recyclers and processors manage recycled materials appropriately, throughout the downstream recycling chain.
- Ensure that materials going for reuse are refurbished and tested for functionality, and residual focus materials are managed responsibly.
- Ensure that personal data on EOL electronics going to reuse or recycling are cleared or destroyed.
- Track throughput and keep records; store and transport material securely and safely; and possess insurance, closure plans, and financial mechanisms to cover the potential risks of the facility.
For more information about R2 Certification please visit www.r2solutions.org
The R2/RIOS™ certification is solely for electronics recyclers to demonstrate to customers that electronics equipment is being recycled with the highest standards for environmental protection, worker health and safety, and data privacy, and facility security. R2/RIOS™ is a combination of the Responsible Recycling (R2) Practices and the Recycling Industry Operating Standard™ (RIOS™). R2 was developed by a broad-based cooperative of electronics recycling stakeholders that included the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), state governments, manufacturers, recyclers, trade groups and non-governmental organizations. RIOS™ is the sole program on the market that combines quality, environmental, health and safety requirements in a single management system.
For more information about RIOS Certification please visit www.isri.org